Access to investment finance is frequently seen as a barrier by businesses in scaling up projects and innovations that benefit natural capital and biodiversity. On the other side of the table, banks and other investors struggle to develop a pipeline of investible projects that enhance natural capital and biodiversity.
EIB’s recent publication “Investing in Nature: financing Conservation and nature-based solutions” provides a practical guide on what conservation and nature-based solutions are and provides seven-step to financing conservation and nature-based solutions projects:
- Get to know the financing basics
- Describe the project: your business model and expected impact
- Describe your current financial standing
- Forecast future cash flows
- Identify risks and possible mitigants
- Analyse different funding structures and sources of capital
- Assess appropriate legal structures
The EIB and EU B@B platform also conceived a webinar series in complement to help to better understand and overcome barriers to investing in nature, and thereby facilitate investment in natural capital and biodiversity-related projects and innovations. The webinar series targets project developers (public and private businesses, cities or municipalities) but will also benefit non-governmental organisations, consultancy companies and individuals seeking to increase their practical knowledge in the field.
Author: European Investment Bank and the EU Business @ Biodiversity platform