- Organisation type
Philea hosts the European Philanthropy Coalition for Climate (EPCC) through which we aim to create a powerful movement for change by mobilising the philanthropy sector to address climate change as a cross-cutting, societal issue.
Pathway: We pledge to increase the number of EU-based signatories to the #PhilanthropyForClimate commitments by at least 10% by the end of 2024.
We will directly engage foundations across Europe and beyond to commit to meaningful climate action and to empower philanthropy infrastructure organisations to drive climate action across the sector by supporting peer learning, providing resources for implementation and mainstreaming climate across our communications.
More about this pledge:
The #PhilanthropyForClimate commitments are slightly different, depending on the national context. They do, however, share the commitment to integrate climate action across the following areas of work:
- Education and learning: Foundations commit to educating their staff, boards and other stakeholders about the root causes, impacts and solutions to the climate crisis and the implications for their work.
- Commitment of resources to work that addresses climate change: Foundations commit resources (financial and other) to accelerate work that addresses the root causes of climate change or adaptation to its impacts. If this is not a possibility, they will find other ways to contribute.
- Integration : Foundations commit to seeking opportunities to contribute to a fair and lasting transition to a net zero world, and to support adaptation to climate change impacts, especially in the most affected communities in the design and implementation of their programmes.
- Investment of endowments and assets: Foundations commit to considering climate change in relation to the source and management of our operational and any endowed funds.
- Operations: Foundations commit to minimising the climate impact of our own operations, which may include for example travel, buildings and procurement.
- Transparency: Foundations commit to reporting regularly on their actions across the other six pillars to track their progress and identify areas for further improvement.
We measure the impact of the commitments through the following metrics:
- # of signatories across the #PhilanthropyForClimate movement
- # of national commitments
- Progress of commitment signatories across the pillars
Examples of successful implementation of commitments so far include:
- French Foundations (see Climate Commitment progress report)
- Association of Charitable Foundations (see Funder Commitment on Climate Change progress report)
Status date: Submitted (12/08/2022)
Data source: Self reported – https://philanthropyforclimate.org/